Skip to main content

Local trees



When I miss a place
I mainly miss its trees.

The प्राजक्त or पारिजात at our neighbors
orange stems on tiny white flowers
fallen on the entire road.
तगर and other pretty white flowers
with dark green leaves
False Ashok, whose leaves were
the colour of chillies
(I made fake भाजी with them as a child)

My mother showed me how to make the flowers
of the Cork tree (बूच), into a braid.

My grandmother taught me to love
the wash of an orange Gulmohur
the brightness of tea leaves
against it, a purple jacaranda
And the crooked strange orange of
the पळस, पलाश

The bright shamelessness of Ghaneri
the elusive toxicity of pink weeds
that we used to call
ice cream flowers
My brother showed me
the canopies of Bangalore
and infinite shade.

The giant delicate Neem, its flowers
वटवृक्श, its own ecosystem of sorts
I would casually meet some बाभूळ or बबूल
with its selection of thorns

The most important summer tree was अमलतास
Its yellow flowers signifying
an unrestrained summer.
The tamarind trees at our school -
the gunja or रत्ती
little read beads from the pretty tree
with compound leaves

I have never liked the perfect पीपल
Heart-shaped leaves that are
holier than thou
Or the weak चाफा or चंपा
Reminding me of the feminine and the fragile

And from ふるさと
dry teak leaves larger than our faces
showing the web of their veins
Ghost-barks of Eucalyptus -
the import and the fantasy

I moved later to some coconut palms, and
Mango trees fruiting and flowering, and
The silk cotton trees across Chennai's roads
Giant Jackfruits growing in people's homes

And later, in Hyderabad
I met the African Locust tree,
filled with tennis balls in the spring
The copper pod trees
that beautified and littered our campus
And the autumn display of the Bougainvillea
Hyderabad roads hit by a blinding flash
of paper flowers.

And i still will never forget
the 松、桜、菊、but mostly the

Its crooked nature, and its habit of growing anywhere,
even on the beach.
Its getting overshadowed by the pretty 桜 and 梅
and their blossom.

Now I am amongst conifers I do not know.
Maples I do not understand
Mushrooms that are sometimes toxic
Berries I can't rely on
And trees that don't have a habit of
staying green.

Popular posts from this blog

लाल वस्तू

महाराजबागेतल्या गुंजेच्या झाडाखाली आईबरोबर बसून घालवलेल्या संध्याकाळी गुंजेचा पाला खाताना गुंजा वेचून, गोळा करून, घरी आणून सजवताना तशाच लाल गुंजांसारखे मखमली किडे पाळताना, त्यांना पावसाळ्यात पकडताना त्यांचा पाला गोळा करताना त्यांना लाजून गुर्फटताना बघताना, आईला दाखवताना मला थोडेच माहिति होते की हे अनुभव, आणि ह्या आठवणी कधी अशृ होतील आणि लाल शर्ट घालून त्या पावसाळ्याची आज तहान भागवावी लागेल

dumb tweets

are dumb tweets poetry? those about comical self deprecation? those about absurdity of lunchtimes the absurdity of predetermined systems the shit that is the economy the shit that is self preservation of social groups and the shit that is my period. aren't these the footsteps of revolutions built upon the personal that is the political a naked lump of clay - the self that has no rights without its body and identifiers. weren't the beats just writing tweets words, that fill up the spaces in empty cultural discourse a space for, a valence towards charged and electric words ionic words words that seem appropriate words in a new absurdist language a torrent, a warm current of intercontinental symbolically void and poisonous words. that live for a small slice like us and cicadas, chirp and die.

plant cuttings

 i am jealous of the seven plant cuttings that i got from my friend one sunday afternoon - a succulent called vicks that smells like a camphor some spotted snake like leaves a chain like cascade with cardoid leaves some needed to be cut exactly somewhere for the severed roots to understand they cannot sprout as leaves on the underside that they are needed to draw water that they used to be something that function is something to perform not something they were. all this for houseplants that wouldn't survive a day in soil outside i perhaps send my hands in this soil hoping they will become roots and my ears someday become leaves.